Thursday, December 24, 2009

The recipe sorting begins

I pulled out one of my bubbe's favorite cookbooks and started to sort.

There is the book itself (a collaborative cookbook written by the National Council of Jewish women in Camden County, New Jersey) and then the pages and pages of hand-written notes that have been stuffed inside over the years. When I opened the first page I even found an envelope full of newspaper clippings and index cards with quick recipes.

It's definitely going to be a challenge to figure out the instructions; my bubbe wrote most of her recipes in pencil and it has begun to fade and/or smear. She also used a kind of shorthand for some of the instructions, so I'm seeing a lot of trial and error in my future.

Luckily my boyfriend ("B") can read her script handwriting!

Here are some shots of the hand-written recipes:

0 comments:

Post a Comment