Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Kasha and Kugel and Knishes..oh my!

Before I begin to really sort through 4 or 5 of my Bubbe’s favorite cookbooks, I started to make a quick list of traditional foods that I’ve eaten or made.
Off the top of my head I came up with:
Challah
Gefilte Fish
Matzah Ball Soup
Knishes
Blintzes
Cholent
Holishkes (stuffed cabbage)
Tzimmes (sweet stew)
Kasha
Kugel
Apple Cake
Babka
Rugelach

I’m assuming that I will find recipes for all of these things scattered throughout the cookbooks, and I’m going to commit to cooking everything here at least once (although I’m not a huge fan of kasha).
I’m much more interested, however, in recreating recipes that I’ve never heard of and traditional dishes that are slowly falling out of fashion.

I’m a little concerned that I am going to be inviting a lot of chicken fat into my life, but I (think) I’ll survive!

0 comments:

Post a Comment